Sunday, December 20, 2015

Chinese 3-Day Program

Chinese 3-Day Program by Anonymous
(Originally found here as part 1 of 2)



*Please note the comments section: Clean Pulls and Deadlifts are listed at 100% for 5 sets of 3 as per the original document. These numbers are not possible. I have not corrected the spreadsheet. Please review the comments for discussion, and alternatives here:
  • Commenter Snatchator suggests below using 100% of your best Clean & Jerk 
  • RDL are a good alternative and listed as an "OR" option in the sheet
  • Ramping the weight up to a heavy set of 3
  • Attempt the weight at 80-85% for all sets across or any % you can handle
  • Find another rep/set scheme that works well for you based on your own needs
I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion - this is how the original document was sent.*

Program Cliffs:

  • 4Week Block, 3Day/Week program
  • Designed for school-aged lifters who could only train a few times each week
  • Allows for peaking at the end of the month; generally these lifters ran this program for months or year round due to their school obligations
  • Has a wide variety of lifts including the classics, some strength exercises, and variations on the full lifts as well
  • Original credit from Anonymous uploader
  • Spreadsheet created by me based on listed percentages
     

13 comments:

  1. I think there is a problem with the deadlift sets and reps. When I plug in my 1RM of 240kg it's telling me to do 5 sets of 3 of 240 which is impossible

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a problem with the deadlift sets and reps. When I plug in my 1RM of 240kg it's telling me to do 5 sets of 3 of 240 which is impossible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just now saw this comment (I didn't get any notification by email)

      Looking at the original pictures, it seems that this is exactly how it is listed. As you've mentioned, this is impossible for anyone to attempt and I also see this same issue with Clean Pulls listed at 100% as well.

      You can attempt to scale the lifts up to a heavy set of 3, or keep them straight across at 85% or so (that is how the RDL are listed on the sheet as an alternative to the clean pulls)

      Delete
    2. I know I'm way late to the party. I just wanted to suggest that it's possible that pulls/deadlifts percentages are based upon the maxes of the classic lifts, rather than maxes of pulls/deadlifts themselves.

      So, for example, Clean Pull (5x3) at 100% would mean 5 sets of 3s at your best CJ weight. Which is not only possible, but a fairly common prescription.

      That would be reasonable if those who wrote the program were used to the Soviet conventions of calculating exercise loadings, which based pulls off the best results in the classic exercises.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for this contribution!

      This is a very likely and reasonable explanation of the 100% prescription in the program. I have edited the notation above to include this.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad I found this website! Thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the programming,Is there any 9-12 weeks version of this program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only version I have is the one listed here.

      You could always run the program again, as that was the original intention according to the submission.

      You could also try modifying it to allow for more reps at lighter weight for 3-4 weeks, then try more medium weights for 3-4 more weeks, before attempting the spreadsheet as is listed. This would require a lot more planning and modifying.

      Delete
    2. when do you test your new 1rm in this program?

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. Just wanna ask the question asked above, when do you test your new 1RM in the program?

    ReplyDelete
  7. found this really late, when it says 3x1 ; 3x2, how am i supposed to interpret that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is written in the sheet. Scheme is Set X Rep. 3x2 means, 3sets with 2reps/set.

      Delete